Wednesday, August 20, 2008

To: Phatty

Photobucket

Dearest Phatty,

Funny to think that now that I live here, and y'all convinced to revisit the possibility of the Bay being my home, that I now have to say goodbye to you.

My time with you, your help in my research process for my senior thesis were gigantic influences on me at that time and on my relationship with the Bay...and by this I really actually mean by relationship with West Coast hip hop, the notion of 'chilling,' Asian-American made and bred hip hop especially, etc. These are not just characteristics of the Bay, but things I have long loved and struggled with as a San Francisco-born woman. Identity is all up in that mess, yada yada.

Long story short your realness greatly contributed to my ability to see and hear what the Bay was trying to say to me, what it was telling me it could offer. After plans to move to Brooklyn after college, when I made the choice to leave New York and come out here - I was worried, but all in all I have had no regrets.

Phatty, you are a very high calibre of hip hop head, friend, man, and brotha and if anyone questions that, they can check your actions. And if they still got beef, they can come talk to me.

May you find much happiness in LA, along with lessons and challenges. And if anybody fucks with you, I, along with all these other people on here, will be happy to back you up/hold your jacket while you fuck them up/hand you a baseball bat.

Your friend,
Kristia AKA Thug Passion

Photobucket

No comments: